Temporomandibular Disorder (TMD) Gig Harbor, Washington
Temporomandibular Disorder (TMD)
Temporomandibular Disorder (TMD) is a horrible affliction many Americans suffer from. Your temporomandibular joint (TMJ) connects your jaw to your skull and is what allows you to move your jaw when speaking, chewing or yawning. Problems in this area can cause pain and make it difficult to move your jaw.
TMD symptoms include:
- Jaw, neck or shoulder pain
- Ear ringing
- Popping or clicking sounds when moving your jaw
- Restricted jaw movements
- Swelling on the sides of your face
- Difficulty chewing
- A change in your bite - as if your upper and lower teeth don’t line up
Causes of TMD
While the causes of TMD are unknown, most issues are believed to be caused from problems with the jaw muscles or joints.
Other possible causes include:
- Damage to the jaw, joint, or head or neck muscles as a result of an injury
- Teeth grinding or clenching, which can increase stress to the joint
- Stress, which can lead to tightening facial and jaw muscles
If you are noticing any TMD symptoms, speak to your dentist or doctor about it. Your dentist can help you diagnose your problems and formulate an appropriate treatment plan.
Also follow these tips to prevent your TMD from becoming worse:
- Practice relaxing your face
- Stop teeth grinding
- Don't chew gum for long periods of time
- Use both sides of your mouth when chewing
- Maintain a good posture when standing and sitting
Contact us at Uptown Dental Gig Harbor to find out how we can help you treat your TMD.